Twitter Updates

8.02.2007

Vacation and a holiday from school?

To start off, for those of you who haven't heard yet, by this time next week I should be in New Orleans. This'll be my first trip to N'Awlins...never got to experience it pre-Katrina =( It'll still be pretty cool I'm sure and I'll get to see somewhat how they've bounced back and rebuilt. In case you're wondering, I'm going as a delegate to the National Convention for the honor fraternity I'm in (Phi Sigma Pi). This is the 2nd year I've been the delegate, but the first time that the convention part is combined with the "Grand Chapter" part (basically like a much bigger, much longer regular chapter meeting), and the first time that I'll be the only one from my chapter there. Luckily, I know how it works and know a lot of people that will be there so I'm not so worried. I might need to brush up on my Robert's Rules/parliamentary procedure a little before I go, but otherwise I'll be fine. The only thing I'm working out right now is transportation. I think what I'll be doing is meeting up with one of the TX chapters that's halfway from here to there and then car pooling with them, b/c they have enough space in their car(s). So, that's a big blessing cuz being a delegate was a last minute thing for me so I didn't have time to save up for a flight and I don't think my car would make it that far (it's not in horrible condition but it's probably better not to push it) plus driving that far alone es no bueno.

Now, to explain the 2nd part of this entry's title. Right now, I'm still short quite a bit on last semester's tuition. That means I can't register for this coming semester until I pay that off. Let's just say it's not something I can get past with just one paycheck...so chances are unless I get a loan or win the lottery out of nowhere this could be a real problem. I'd already be going into my 3rd year of being a senior, and now it looks like it'll take even longer. So, what would I be doing if not going to school? Well, first I'd have to find a new job b/c my current job is a "student job" (not work study) kinda like when I worked at the Pan Am, so if I'm not a full time student then I can't have that job. Stinks a little that it's like that but I understand, so whatever. What I'll probably be looking for is either being a sub or a teacher's assistant. I need to get apps/resumes in ASAP tho b/c the public schools are starting in like a week or so. Granted I'll have to say I can't start right away cuz I'll be out of town when most of them start, but if it's meant to be then it'll work out, I'm sure.

The only other thing that not going to school next semester would majorly affect is my membership with PSP. I would have to go inactive which is not something our chapter needs right now, but I can't be active unless i'm in school at the time. I can still come back next semester or next fall -- if it comes to that -- but after that I can't officially be in it. I just don't like the idea of leaving them one person shorter right now cuz right now our size is where everyone is an officer and I just took on the newly combined role of secretary (used to be 2 positions). So, if you're going to NMSU, have a 3.0 and this isn't your 1st or last semester, check it out. If you wanna know more about it, ask me. Hey, if I can't be an active member I can at least recruit for them right? ;-)

That's about it for now. I'll give an update when I get back from NOLA, N'Awlins, New Orleans, w/e you wanna call it :-p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.