Twitter Updates

1.30.2009

So, It's almost that time again

**Fair warning ahead of time. This is probably gonna be pretty long, or at least longer than my normal posts, so if you don't mind that, then read on! :-p**

Seeing as "the love month" is just around the corner, I thought I'd write about some thoughts I had this morning. Granted the thoughts came together better this morning despite my lack of sleep, but when the thoughts were coming I happened to be no where near a computer. I was on the way to my dentist appointment. Nevertheless, I'll try and make this as coherent as it was then (though knowing my head isn't all that coherent, but oh well :-p).

So, it started as a conversation of sorts with God. Love/like/whatever has been on my mind this week in various ways but it was mostly in my head and to myself minus the vagueness from my posts earlier this week and a few conversations with friends. But the One I wasn't taking any of these thoughts to was God. Then, this morning he initiated the "convo" by sending a blog across my path -- one that I might have just skipped over any other day, and still almost did after starting to read it. It was basically two guys reflecting on how they knew they'd found "the one". Now, don't misunderstand where I'm going with this. I'm not ready for marriage yet and am not gonna say that I've found/met my "one". But it was more the conclusions that each of them reached that I think were what God wanted me to see. Guy #1's "a-ha" revelations included the following:

"I truly couldn’t love Toya until I first loved the Lord. I had to stop looking at my life, and start looking at life through God's eyes and how He sees me. It was then that I realized who I was and who I would serve. It was like my eyes were opened."
"Toya was hidden in Christ and I had to find her by first going through Christ. A lot of women are trying to find a mate; the man is supposed to his [sic] mate. And when he has to go through Christ to find her, the Lord can bless it and give him favor. I didn’t find my wife or obtain favor until I was truly living for the Lord." (sorry, for some reason this text wants to be bold and LJ isn't letting me change that)
This is basically what one of my friends was telling me earlier this week, and when you hear basically the same thing from two or more unrelated sources it's usually something you should take notice of, right? And speaking of that, here is what Guy #2 had to say about when he asked God who his wife would be:

"When I asked God, He answered me immediately. He said, 'Carmen'. It was as if He had been waiting for me to ask. 'How did I know it was God?' you may ask? It’s just like when my mom calls me on the phone. I don’t have to check the caller ID to figure out who I’m talking to. Because I’m in relationship with her I know her voice. And even if we were in a noisy, crowded room, I would still recognize her voice above all others because I’ve spent years with her. Her voice is familiar to me.

The same is true of God. When you spend time with Him you get to know Him and how He speaks as it relates to you. Not only did God speak it, but He also confirmed it through the mouths of three others. It was made more than clear that Carmen was His choice for me."

So, again this convicts me that I need to be in conversation with God (through prayer and reading His Word and even through those who also know and follow Him). I have been making an effort to improve in this lately and I've noticed the difference so that is good. There's always room for improvement in this area though, no matter where I'm at.

Then at the end of his section Guy #2 gives his advice to guys and, really, it's all good but I'll just give ya a bit of the part I liked best. I think it applies to any guy in a relationship, not just marriage. Plus it kinda leads into the next part of my convo with God.

"My brothers, your standard of perfection will never measure up to God’s. Some of you are afraid to trust Him with choosing a mate for you because you know He does not have the same hang ups that you do. When you realize the weight of a husband’s role, you will not want to make that choice based on your own intellect. The husband is called to love. Love is service. Love will carry the weight, and keep believing when everything looks hopeless. Love will not give up when your wife wants to. Love will be patient with her as she is transforming, and will be kind to her even when she’s not. Love seeks no glory but will take the back seat and let her shine. Love will keep you faithful even when it's being thrown at you. The level of spirituality in your household is directly proportionate to your faith in God. "

So this stuck with me and while I was on the way to the dentist I started thinking about how these things about love basically come from how God loves us. He initiates and leads the pursuit of us. He is patient and waits for us to come to Him, while still showing his love for us even when we don't come or take a while to come around. He doesn't give up on us even when most of us would. He is kind to us even though most of the time we don't deserve it. In a way He also doesn't spoil us by giving us everything we ask for, because in the end He knows what's best for us and will ultimately bring us joy and closer to Him. Those were the thoughts that went through my head on that short drive. I basically answered back thanking Him for revealing that to me and just prayed that I can live up to that standard of love.

So, ya that's basically all I wanted to say. Thoughts? Questions? Agree? Disagree? (I'm basically saying I want to interact with whoever reads these....stop lurking! :-p I don't bite)

2 comments:

Chris Sanchez said...

Outstanding post. Your honesty on the subject is refreshing...especially during this "Month of Love"!

Chris

Radiant Times said...

Sean, thanks for tagging me on your blog!

Ruth